Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A bit of liver with your carrot soup, madame?


Ok, so I am going to have to warn you now...studying nutrition is NOT pretty, although you may not believe me when I say it, especially because a recurring topic of conversation between my roommate and I (Suzy, NYU's newest dietetic intern!) is exactly how "pretty" everyone is in the Clinical Nutrition program at NYU. Today, I am studying medical nutrition therapy for liver disease. So, I figured that I would give you a little taste of what it is like to go from leaning over a pot of simmering carrot soup (see below) to turning the page of a textbook to reveal a hideous picture much like the one shown here.

Alcoholic liver disease is the most common liver disease in the United States. In my textbook, Krause states that "alcohol problems are highest among young adults 18 to 29 years of age..." Uh oh, that includes me and all of my friends. As you may have read in "ABOUT ME," I love red wine. Although drinking red wine can have some benefits such as antioxidants and a social life, the downsides include more than just purple teeth: one of these being that acetaldehyde, the breakdown product of alcohol in the body, causes damage to your liver, leading to the build up of fatty acids and, eventually, liver cirrhosis. YUCK.

No comments: